KAIROS HIGH SCHOOL
KAIROS High School
is an 8-week summer internship for high school students that have completed 9th grade or above. It provides opportunities for student interns to work on ministry projects and assignments, within a team atmosphere, while learning to take ownership, accept responsibility, receive feedback, and become self-aware..
What you can expect:
- Each intern will serve under the direction of a Student Ministry Director, where they will gain hands-on ministry experience serving their campus. Job descriptions include both campus specific responsibilities as well as all-church projects such as helping lead the Greenville Mission Trip for middle school students (see below).
- Interns must be available to work at the church approximately 15 hours a week. Limitations regarding which Grace campus students are able to work at, due to potential transportation restraints, should be indicated on the student’s internship application.
- Every Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00-9:00am at the Downtown campus, students will participate in classes on a variety of topics taught by Grace Church staff. Students need to ensure their part time jobs do not conflict with class time on a recurring basis. A maximum number of 4 classes can be missed.
- Students will also obtain a part-time job outside of the home where they will work for the summer alongside their time spent at the church. Part time hours can range from around 10-15 hours a week. By having multiple responsibilities, students will learn to manage their time well, and have their limits tested. This is the case even if the job is something that only lasts for the summer.
- Parents will be incorporated as an integral part of the internship experience. Parents coming alongside students, and helping them think through their responsibilities and performance, maximizes the learning and developmental process. Our desire is that parents will have at minimum one intentional conversation a week regarding the challenges and general experience of their student’s internship.
- Applications for KAIROS High School 2016 are now closed. Please check back January 2017 for Important Summer 2017 dates and deadlines.
What to expect
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long is the internship?
- KAIROS SUMMER – The Kairos Summer internship takes place over a ten-week period June-August.
- KAIROS SEMESTER – The length of the internship is typically the length of one semester, however this may be catered to what is required for the student to receive the college credit they are working for. The internship may take place in any of the fall, spring, or summer semesters.
- CULTOR HOUSE – The internship will take place over a nine-month period, beginning in late-August and running through May of the following calendar year.
How much does it cost to do the program?
- KAIROS SUMMER – There is no cost to participate in the KAIROS Summer, Semester, or Cultor House internship programs – they are absolutely free. For KAIROS Summer and Semester, interns may choose to receive class credit or a monthly stipend to cover general living expenses. Summer interns are placed with a Grace Church host family, where they are each responsible for covering expenses for daily lunches and any restaurant meals, gas, and transportation. While host families may pay for some meals, it may not be expected.
- CULTOR HOUSE – Because Cultor House interns receive free housing from the church, this is an unpaid internship. Interns will be required to work part-time elsewhere in order to cover other general living expenses.
Where would I be located?
- Much of your time will be spent at our main campus on Pelham Road in Greenville. Depending on the ministry that you are interested in working with and our church’s needs, you may also work from any one of our other six campuses: Powdersville, Downtown, Harrison Bridge, Spartanburg, Anderson, or Grace en Español. More information on our campus locations can be found here.
Where would I live? May I commute from my home or apartment?
- All of our KAIROS Summer interns live free of charge with a host family within our church body. Each year, we find this to be one of the intern’s favorite experiences from the summer.
- Housing situations for our KAIROS Semester interns vary from intern to intern. If an intern lives within reasonable driving distance, he or she is welcome to commute from home or apartment. If an intern needs housing for whatever reason, we are able to provide a host family from within the church body.
- All of our Cultor House interns live free of charge in housing provided by the church.
Would I be able to take time off during the program?
- We ask that all of our KAIROS Summer interns refrain from taking any time off during the internship in order to give Grace Church the entirety of the ten-week period, and so that they will have the best possible experience in this formative season. However, if prior obligations exist that fall within the ten-week period, time off may be requested and discussed.
- In KAIROS Semester, because of the span of the internship, variability in school requirements and time that each intern is required, interns may take time off, provided doing so doesn’t interfere with their aligned responsibilities. We do ask interns to limit their time away so as to fully invest in the community they have here in Greenville. All requests off are approved upon discussion.
- Cultor House interns are expected to work in their internship role for 20 hours each week throughout the duration of their internship. Because of the span of the internship, interns may take time off, provided doing so doesn’t interfere with their responsibilities. We do ask interns to limit their time away so as to fully invest in the community they have here in Greenville.
What ministries do interns work with?
- Interns can expect to be placed to work with any of the following ministries: Student Ministry, Children’s Ministry, Culturally Engaged (local, regional, and international missions), Graphic Communications, Videography, Worship, or Audio/Visual. In the event that an intern’s interest or class credit requirement is outside one of these areas, we are happy to work with them to customize their internship in order to best meet their needs.
What are the classes like?
- Kairos and Cultor House Interns will be taught three mornings each week by pastors within the church on a variety of different subjects, including an overview of Old and New Testament, Bible study methods, the local church, gender, and plenty more.
When is the application deadline?
- KAIROS SUMMER – The deadline for all KAIROS Summer 2017 applications is Wednesday, February 1st, 2017.
- KAIROS SEMESTER – KAIROS Semester applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
- CULTOR HOUSE – The deadline for all Cultor House 2017-18 applications is March 1st, 2017.